Monday, June 9, 2008

We're BACK!!

Well....we are back and I starting crying as the plane landed! I LOVE ATLANTA! I LOVE DACULA! I LOVE MY KIDS AND WILD AND CRAZY LIFE! This was of course our first trip EVER and it was nice but really how much conch can one person eat. Cracked, in salad, in fritters, in soup...I was starting to feel like the guy in Green Eggs and Ham. "Can you eat it in a boat? Can you eat it in a moat?" The short version of the trip is simply this. We had a great time just being there with no schedule or anyone to comment on where we went or what we ate. The first day we walked the entire city. We ended up at Tall Boys for lunch. They have a whole bunch of shacks (and I truly mean shacks!!) under the bridge and they simply pull the conchs out of the water, out of the shell and start cutting them up for your salad. This visit I did not eat....I could see no Clorox or Pinesol in sight and I guess I am just a city girl at heart. Tim ate a whole bowl and offered me a bite. Since Tall Boy himself was looking at me I smiled while kicking Tim under the table and ate up. It was I must say AMAZING! I suddenly forgot about the flys and my longing need for clorox wipes or a spray bottle of the North Carolina Pine Forest. I was hooked! From then on out I was on a bit of a conch mission asking all the locals the best place to go. Now next to food the second best thing to do is SHOP! (sorry Catherine the beach is a true third for me:) We hit the straw market on a day when a cruise ship did not come into port. Why is this important you may ask....well the boats bring all the customers right to their door...so no boat....no customer. As we began to walk down the hall every woman on either side starting yelling "Hey, pretty lady come look! Pretty lady, its free to look! Pretty lady, what you need today, come look come look!" I ended up with a Coach wallet, Coach duffle bag, Louis Vuitton purse, Tim's Rolex and what were supposed to be Cuban cigars. Oh! and I can't forget Little Mary...she got a Kate Spade little purse. Third, I must say is the beach and it was truly beautiful! The water was crystal clear and very shallow so we could walk out pretty far. I can't imagine looking at that everyday on my way to work. The next few days we hung out and ate local food. It was nice but as I said in the beginning I was REALLY READY TO COME HOME!

No comments: